Admission Procedures

Appointments & Walk-ins Welcome!


Applications are required and should be submitted as soon as possible to start the enrollment process. In addition, a high school diploma, official high school transcript with proof of HS graduation, or GED, and any post-secondary institutions attended by the applicant should be requested & sent directly to the School’s registrar office. Foreign documents must be translated to English prior to submission.

Modern Technology School does not provide visa services or English language services to students. All classes are taught in English.

To be officially enrolled into the school the applicant must:

  • pass an entrance exam
  • be acceptance by a panel-review committee
  • submit two reference letters
  • supply official HS diploma, transcripts, and/or other such required documents
  • make an appointment with the Financial Department to complete an enrollment agreement
  • Notification of acceptance or non-acceptance will be made to the applicant by mail, prior to starting class.

Tuition, Fees, Registration, Books and Supplies are inclusive in the total price of the course. Program costs are listed on the disclosure statement under Financial Aid.

Program schedules will be distributed to students at the beginning of the course; and are subject to change. The admissions office will be able to provide information for each program schedule at your first meeting.

Policies and procedures may be amended at any time in accordance with regulations. Call the admissions office at (888) 991-8997 with any questions on our policies and procedures.

School Catalog: Please click here for a copy of the school catalog.

School Brochure: Please click here for a copy of the school brochure.

Annual Report for the BPPE: Please click here for a copy of the Annual Report.

School Performance Fact Sheet: Please click here for a copy of the School Performance Fact Sheet.


Students in Good Standing

Students Who Withdraw:
A student who has withdrawn from the School, and who was in good academic standing, may be reinstated upon application to the Re-Admission Committee provided that no more than six (6) months have elapsed since last date of class attendance. The applicant for re-admission may be required to take a proficiency exam to test their retained knowledge. Space availability will be considered.

If remedial work is deemed necessary by the faculty, the student will be advised of the schedule in writing by the School. A new enrollment agreement will be written on all re-admissions and tuition, supplies and fees may be assessed relative to any remedial work required.

Students may appeal any decision regarding their progress, probation, suspension, or dismissal. Appeals must be submitted in writing to the Re-Admission Committee within two weeks of the action causing the appeal. An appeals board will review all appeals and notify the student of its decision within 30 days.

Student Tuition Recovery Fund

STRF Disclosure
California Law requires that upon enrollment a fee be assessed in relation to the cost of tuition (Educational Code Section 94343). These fees support the Student Tuition Recovery Fund, a special fund established by the California Legislature to reimburse students who might otherwise experience a financial loss as a result to untimely school closures. Institutional participation is mandatory. As of January 1, 2015 these fees have been reduced to $0.

To be eligible you must be a California resident and reside in California at the time the enrollment is signed, or when you receive lessons at a California mailing address from an approved institution offering correspondence instruction. Students who are temporarily residing in California for the sole purpose of pursuing an education specifically those who hold student visas, are not considered a California resident.

To qualify for STRF reimbursement you must file a STRF application within one year of receiving notice from the Bureau that the school is closed. If you do not receive notice from the Bureau’s, you have four (4) years from the date of closure to file a SRFR application. If a judgement is obtained, you must file a STRF application with two (2) years of the final judgement.

You are eligible for the Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF) if all the following applies to you:

You are a student in an education program, who is a California resident, or are enrolled in a residency program, and prepay all or part of your tuition either by cash, guaranteed student loans, or personal loans.
Your total charges are not paid by any third-party payer such as an employer, government program or other payer unless you have a separates agreement to repay the third party.
You are not eligible for protection from the STRF and you are not required to pay the STRF assessment, if either of the following applies to you:

You are not a California resident, or are not enrolled in a residency program.
Your total charges are paid by a third party, such as an employer, government program or other payer, and you have no separate agreement to repay the third party.
The State of California created the Student Tuition Recovery Act (STRF) to relieve or mitigate economic losses suffered by students in educational programs who are California residents, or are enrolled in a residency programs attending certain schools regulated by the Bureau for Private Post Secondary Education.

You may be eligible for STRF if you are a California resident or are enrolled in a residency program, prepaid tuition, paid the STRF assessment, and suffered an economic loss as a result of any of the following:

1. the school closed before the course of instruction was completed.
2. the school’s failure to pay refunds or charges on behalf of a student to a third party for license frees or any other purpose, or to provide equipment or material for which a charge was collected within 180 days before the closure of the school.
3. the school’s failure to pay or reimburse loan proceeds under a federally guaranteed student loan program as required by law or to pay or reimburse proceeds received by the school prior to closure in excess of tuition and other costs.
4. There was a material failure to comply with the Act or this the Division within 30 days before the schools closed or, if the material failure began earlier than 30 days prior to closure, the period determined by the Bureau.
5. An inability after diligent efforts to prosecute, prove, and collect on a judgment against the institution for a violation of the Act.
However, no claim can be paid to any student without a social security number or a taxpayer identification number.

It is important that you keep copies of the enrollment agreement, financial aid papers, receipts or any other information that documents the moneys paid to the school. Any questions you may have regarding you enrollment agreement that have not been satisfactorily answered by the institution may be directed to the address below:

State of California
Bureau for Private Post-secondary Education (BPPE)
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95833

A student or any member of the public may file a complaint about this institution by calling the toll free number at 888-370-7589 or completing a complaint form which can be obtained on the bureau’s Internet web-site.

Leave of Absence

Approval Process
A leave of absence may be granted for emergency reasons only. The student must submit a written request to the Program Director for approval. Supporting documentation may be required. A one-time leave of absence is granted for up to a maximum of sixty days during the duration of the program. Students are not eligible for clinical placement during a leave of absence. Re-admission to the program after return from a leave of absence is based upon class and clinical space availability.